November 13, 2008

St. Martin Day Parade of Fire!!!

Ok, it wasn't actually a parade of fire but children carrying paper lanterns with real candle in the middle. So it could have been a parade of fire, but luckily even though it was windy and some of the children were quite young, no one set anything aflame! Let me say, it was not my best day as a mom. It started nicely enough, I had my 3 plus a friend of Hannah's. We met up with Rachel and her two and a quadrillion other children from Erasmus and their parents and teachers in a park in downtown Frankfurt. I was worried about losing someone or someone setting something on fire, so I made the kids stay with me. I was so proud that I remembered scotch tape for any last minute paper lantern repairs, camera, even extra batteries! I got everyone lit up and lined up for a super photo opportunity-but alas-I left my memory card in my computer. Argggg! So, no pictures of this years parade but here is one of years past:
Those were the good old days when adults outnumbered the children 5:3. (Lennart and I were there, just not in the photo) This time is was 1:4. A little nerve racking yes, but I hoped to leave cute memories for the kids. Well, we marched through the park to a pavillion where Hannah and the other kindergarteners performed a little play about St. Martin and how he shared his coat on a cold, snowy, blustery day with a poor man. A lovely story, Hannah played a tree blowing in the wind. Unfortunately, I could not see or hear any of this performance at the time due to small pavillion, many people problems but Hannah showed us her part at home later that night. After this, we marched to the next area where all the children broke up and shared traditional sweet bread men. Now the fun is over and time to treck back to the car. But wait, it's now pitch black and we are in the middle of a large park. Hmm, which way to the car? We followed others in the hopes, they knew what they were doing but Sarah lost all desire to go home. She decided to stop moving. I am carrying a big bag full of waters, tape, camera, hats, scarves, etc. and now also get to carry a kicking screaming two year old. Ella was horrified. She desparately wanted to get away from the scene, but never in million years would I let her walk alone at night through the park. So we trudged very slowly kicking and screaming and complaining all the way, but we did indeed find the car. By then, I was expecting either a heart attack or nervous breakdown, yelling at the kids to just get in the car and stop everything! So much for the lovely memories. It started so nicely...
ps. In the end, we did talk through everything that transpired in the car and hopefully the children will not look back and think of me as evil but remember something fun before the chaos.

No comments: